Free UK Delivery - Orders above £70
Over 30 years experience
Coir Coconut Entrance Matting
Coir matting is still a firm favourite for entrance matting in the industry, due to its traditional and timeless look, and its ability to scrape and wipe dirt and footwear. Coir doormats are an effective fabric for high-traffic areas such as doorways, entrances, and reception areas of a business or office block.
Our range of coir door mats features sustainable coconut fibres which make them naturally eco-friendly and are PVC-backed to prevent water and moisture from seeping through onto the floor. This will minimise the risk of slips on a wet floor. The coir fibres are twisted, to resist crushing and prolong the mat's lifetime.
As coir mats are quite coarse in texture, it helps to scrape away dirt from the footwear of visitors, and staff, helping to keep your business clean and presentable at all times and in all weather conditions.
At Mats4U, we only offer premium grade coir, which means less shedding and a longer lifetime of the matting. We offer a selection of standard lengths from 1m or 2m rolls, or we can cut to size to any length you need.
As well as the traditional coloured coir, we can also offer several coloured coir options, to help match your décor. You can even have your logo on a coir mat, if this is of interest, have a look at our coir logo mats and request a free, no-obligation quote and digital design proof.
What is Coir Matting?
Coir matting is a popular choice of entrance matting that is produced using natural coconut fibres from coconut husks. Coir is a natural and renewable material that is known for its durability and moisture-absorbing properties. It has a traditional and natural appearance with a coarse scraping surface.
Coir matting is commonly used as a practical and eco-friendly flooring solution for both indoor and outdoor areas. It is often found in entranceways, hallways, and high-traffic areas where dirt and moisture need to be trapped and absorbed. The rough texture of coir matting helps to scrape dirt and debris off shoes, preventing them from being tracked inside.
Coir matting is valued for its natural appearance, sustainability, and resilience. It is resistant to mould and mildew, making it suitable for humid environments.
What are the benefits of Coir Mats?
Coir mats offer severe benefits that make them a popular choice for various applications.
- Excellent Dirt and Debris Trapping: Coir mats have a rough and textured surface that effectively traps dirt, debris, and moisture from shoes. The fibre scrape and brush off dirt particles, preventing them from being tracked indoors. This helps to keep your floors cleaner and reduces the need for constant cleaning.
- Cost: One of the biggest pros of coir matting is that it has a low price point in comparison to rubber backed entrance matting for example.
- Appearance: Coir has a natural and traditional look which makes it an attractive choice for entrance matting. It can also be dyed in a number of different colours.
- Scraping and Wiping Properties for Dirt Removal: Due to the texture of coir matting, it has good scraping and wiping properties, as long as the mat is in good condition.
- Good for Mat Wells or Recesses: Coir matting can be cut to pretty much any size or shape and laid side by side; making it a good choice for use in mat wells or recesses. Coir is also available in several depths.
For more information on the benefits, read our blog on the pros and cons of coir matting.
Where to use Coir Mats?
Coir mats can be used in various indoor and outdoor settings.
- Mat Wells or Recesses: Coir matting is ideal for mat wells or recesses because it is available to purchase in a variety of different depths, to fit the depth of your well or recess.
- Custom or Unusual Sizes: Coir mats can be easily cut to size with a sharp Stanley knife, making them great for unusual and bespoke sizes.
- Entryways: Coir mats are popularly placed at entry points, both residential and commercial, to trap dirt, mud, and moisture from shoes. They help keep the interior floors cleaner by preventing debris from being tracked indoors.
- Hallways and Corridors: Coir mats can be used in high-traffic areas such as hallways and corridors to protect the flooring and reduce the amount of dirt and dust being carried throughout the space.
- Patio and Porches: Coir mats are suitable for outdoor spaces like patios and porches. They can help prevent dirt, sand, and leaves from being tracked inside the house and provide a natural and rusty look to the outdoor area.
- Mudrooms: Coir mats are an excellent choice for mudrooms, where they can effectively trap mud and wetness brought in from outside. These moisture-absorbing properties help keep the area clean and reduce the risk of slipping.
- Commercial spaces: Coir mats are commonly used in commercial settings such as retail stores, offices, hotels, and restaurants. They are placed near entrances and high-traffic areas to maintain cleanliness, enhance safety, and create a welcoming impression for customers.
For more information, read our blog on ‘Where and Why to Use Coir Matting’.
Which depth of Coir should I choose?
- How deep is your mat well/recess?: Measure the depth of your mat well using a tape measure.
- Is your well/recess level?: It may not be the same height across the whole mat well, so we recommend checking the depth in a number of places to ensure accuracy. You can also use a spirit level to double-check. If the well is not quite level, you can use a floor screed to even out the surface.
- Thicker is not necessarily better: The thicker the matting, the more difficult it is for people to walk on or use a wheelchair over the matting. If you have a very deep recess, we would recommend bolstering it with floor screed or marine plywood.
For more information see our blog ‘Which depth of Coir Matting should I choose?’
How to cut a Coir Mat
Achieving accurate and precise cuts when resizing PVC-backed coir mats is a straightforward process, given that you possess the necessary tools. To successfully complete the task, gather a sharp utility knife (such as a Stanley knife), a steel ruler, a marker pen, and a tape measure. These tools are crucial in ensuring that you can make cuts that are both precise and string.
- Measure the well's dimensions on all four sides.
- Flip the mat and mark the well's corners on the backing
- Connect the marks to outline the area to be cut.
- Use a sharp utility knife and a steel ruler to make straight cuts
- Separate the cut portion from the main mat
- Flip the mat and place it in the well, trimming if necessary for a perfect fit.
You can see our full step-by-step guide on how to cut a coir mat here.
Buy Cut to Size / Made to Measure Coir
If you’d rather not cut the coir yourself, no problem. We offer custom size coir which we can cut to size for you, in a choice of five different depths.
How to install Coir Matting
We have created a guide and a video on how to install coir matting into a well or recess, with just 7 simple steps.
How to prevent Coir from shedding
One of the biggest cons, or bug bares, of coir matting is that it can shed and wear, which means it can start to look untidy. It is worth noting that there will always be some initial shedding when coir is first installed, and then this should slow down.
A key way to ensure that coir shedding is minimal is to ensure you purchase a superior, commercial grade of coir. You should also ensure that the matting is vacuumed regularly.
For more information read our blog on how to prevent my coir mat from shedding.
How to clean Coir Matting
As mentioned above, regular cleaning of coir matting can help to prevent shedding, and also prolong the lifetime of the mat. Avoid using strong chemicals to clean coir, as this can do more harm than good. A simple vacuum or shake outside regularly should keep your coir mat looking clean and presentable.
Read our blog on How to Clean Your Coir Mats step-by-step guide.
The Lifetime of a Coir Mat
The lifetime of a coir mat is dependent on a number of factors, including; the level of footfall, how well it is maintained and whether it is loose-laid or installed in a recess. Our superior grade coir has a one-year guarantee.
Custom-cut coir mats
Do you have a unique size or shape of coir? We can help! Please contact us on 0121 313 6748 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote.
If you would like expert advice on selecting the right coir mat for your business or would like further information on the types of entrance mats we have available to order, please feel free to contact our team via the Contact Us page or, during UK office hours, use our Live Chat service.